What is Cyber Essentials?
Cyber Essentials is a simple but effective, Government backed scheme, created to help you protect your organisation against a range of the
most common cyber attacks.
Cyber attacks come in many shapes and sizes, but the vast majority are very basic in nature, carried out by relatively unskilled individuals.
Cyber Essentials and Cyber Essentials Plus are Government backed certifications to demonstrate to your customers and other stakeholders you are serious about protecting them and their data. By having Cyber Essentials in place you will reduce your own companies cyber risk by around 80%
Cyber Essentials Info Brochure
Click image to open
A DIY Checklist
Use a firewall to secure your internet connection
- Understand what a firewall is
- Understand the difference between a personal and a boundary firewall
- Locate the firewall which comes with your operating system and turn it on
- Find out if your router has a boundary firewall function. Turn it on if it does.
Choose the most secure settings for your devices and software
- Know what ‘configuration’ means
- Find the Settings of your device and try to turn off a function that you don’t need.
- Find the Settings of a piece of software you regularly use and try to turn off a function that you don’t need
- Read the NCSC guidance on passwords
- Make sure you’re still happy with your passwords
- Read up about second factor authentication
Control who has access to your data and services
- Read up on accounts and permissions
- Understand the concept of ‘least privilege’
- Know who has administrative privileges on your machine
- Know what counts as an administrative task
- Set up a minimal user account on one of your devices
Protect yourself from viruses and other malware
- Know what malware is and how it can get onto your devices
- Identify three ways to protect against malware
- Read up about anti-virus applications
- Install an anti-virus application on one of your devices and test for viruses
- Research secure places to buy apps, such as Google Play and Apple App Store
- Understand what a ‘sandbox’ is
Keep your devices and software up to date
- Know what ‘patching’ is
- Try to set the operating system on one of your devices to ‘Automatic update’
- Try to set a piece of software that you regularly use to ‘Automatic update’
- List all the software you have which is no longer supported
Don't Want To DIY?
Engage us to complete your Cyber Essentials.
Remedial Work Undertaken
100% Certification Guarantee